- Students must meet with the department advisor and obtain the change/addition of major form with appropriate signatures and stamps. Departmental advisor contacts
2. Students then attend the Academic Planning Workshop online at: bsosworkshops.umd.edu
3. Students will submit the change/addition of major form with a completed academic-plan online to the firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Major change or addition of second major may take approximately 15 - 20 business days to process.
5. Students on academic probation/dismissal and other designated student populations will be required to schedule an appointment with an advisor to process the major change.
Students wishing to add a second major or degree in Criminology and Criminal Justice, Economics, Government and Politics, and/or Psychology must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher. The Departments of African American Studies, Anthropology, Geographical Sciences, Hearing and Speech Sciences, and Sociology will admit students as double majors on a case by case basis. First semester freshmen are exempt from the 3.0 grade point average requirement through the last day of classes of their first semester at the University of Maryland.
The university encourages students to complete their degrees in four years or 130 credits. Students wishing to declare a second major or degree will need to complete a plan that demonstrates their ability to successfully complete the major requirements in eight (8) semesters (four years).