If a current University of Maryland student wishes to take a course at another institution and have that course and its credits transfer back to UMD, that student is required to submit a “Permission to Enroll” (PTE) form. Students must obtain appropriate approval(s) from the college and/or the department. By having the course approved, the form acknowledges:

  1.    The credit is transferable to UMD
  2.    The student is in good academic standing and has permission from UMD to take the course

Please Note: Some institutions, especially Maryland Community Colleges, will require this approved form in order for students to register. Typically, courses are taken during the summer or winter terms. 

Red line


To receive permission to take courses away:

Step 1.    Check the Transfer Course Database to determine which courses transfer and what their course equivalency is.

  • Please note: Be sure to check the start and end dates and all footnotes for a course. Several of the courses have footnotes that could impact the equivalency by either restricting or expanding how the course is accepted by UMD or applied to a student’s major.
  • If the course is not in the database, go to the Transfer Credit Service’s website for information about getting a course evaluated for transfer. A Student must have a course evaluated before submitting a PTE.

Step 2.    Complete the BSOS Permission to Enroll Form Cover Sheet.

  • File can be saved. You can open it with Adobe and type answers directly into the form.
  • Your PTE form will not be approved without the cover sheet attached.

Step 3.    Complete the online Permission to Enroll Form and attach the BSOS Cover Sheet before submitting.

Red line


Permission to take courses away which requires an Exception to Policy:

In certain circumstances students must schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor to seek approval for an Exception to Policy before you complete the online PTE Form. These include:

  • Will be enrolling during the Fall or Spring semester while concurrently taking classes at UMD.
  • Will be repeating a course in which you previously received a letter grade at UMD.
  • Will be repeating a course in which you are currently taking and will be receiving a letter grade at UMD.
  • Will be taking a course during the final 30 credits at UMD.

Please schedule an appointment online or call 301-405-1697 for BSOS Advising. Phone appointments are acceptable in most cases.  Approval is neither automatic nor guaranteed.