Alumni Opportunities for Partnership: Sign up to Volunteer
Click the Volunteer button to express interest in any of the opportunities below or email the Feller Center's Career Planning team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Share Your Experiences
Do you have 30-minutes to talk about your job or industry? Students want to hear from you! We are scheduling short virtual sessions with alumni to share their career paths, industry/job insights, and/or tips for applying to your industry with students. The areas below are of particular interest to our majors. Express interest here and we will reach out to you when we have an opportunity.
- Federal Government
- Legal Services/Lawyer
- International Relations
- Public Policy
- Financial Analysis
- Data Analysis
- Political: Campaigns, Lobbying
- Counseling/Mental Health
- Helping professions (healthcare, social services, social justice)
Students love to hear from alumni who have used their in-class learning in their jobs. All you have to do to participate is answer these questions and attach a photo. This is a very low time commitment option that could have a huge impact on students! We work with instructors to integrate featured alumni as an example of career path options within courses (in-person or as a written document).
Do you have experience with LinkedIn, developing a resume, interviewing, etc. that you would be interested in sharing with students? We often plan group or individual events where alumni/employers share their tips on how to best prepare to apply for openings.
Share information and network with students as they learn about various industries. We choose different industry areas to feature each semester.
In partnership with the UMD Alumni Association, we invite you to join the UMD Terrapins Connect, an online advising program, which offers a secure space for alumni-to-student advising and mentoring. No overwhelming time commitments. Create an account today.
Alumni may join to mentor students or to expand their network by connecting with other alumni!
Networking Night with students and alumni, pre-COVID. Read more about our virtual options, such as the Career Chat series.
Students Visit You
Host UMD students
Intern for a Day, through the University of Maryland University Career Center & The President's Promise, connects current undergraduate UMD students with alumni, parents, and employers for short-term job shadowing opportunities to explore potential career fields.
Interested in participating in Intern for a Day, please reach out to email@example.com indicating your interest in order to be added to our email list and to receive the host registration form (if we are actively registering hosts at that time). Review the timeline and other details.
Host a group of 25+ students at your organization for a tour, career panel, or other events to educate students on career paths. Generally last 1.5 to 3 hours. Recent visits include,
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, International Affairs
- National Geographic
- Little Leaves
- U.S. Secret Services Training Facility
- Library of Congress
- National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
A huge thank you to UMD Alum Pamitha D. Weerasinghe, J.D., who hosted a group of UMD students on the Hill.
Stay Connected/Recruit a Terp
Join our LinkedIn Group
- UMD College of Behavioral and Social Sciences LinkedIn Group: Connect specifically with BSOS students and alumni (as well as advertise job and internship postings).
- University of Maryland College Park Alumni (Official) LinkedIn Group: Connect with fellow Terp alumni and future alumni.
Does the University have your correct contact information? Check it at go.umd.edu/infoupdate.
There are many ways to share and recruit from the College of Behavioral & Social Sciences.
- The University Career Center staff is available to assist in establishing new internship programs or enhancing existing ones by helping with structuring your opportunities, identifying best practices, and/or preparing internship supervisors.
- Send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- General employer questions, email: email@example.com.
- Career exploration resources for alumni
- Attend events on campus.
- Explore career options.
- Terrapins Connect Job Board: The Terrapins Connect alumni-only job board allows you to effortlessly access job opportunities or hire your fellow Terps. Check out a few listings below: To check out all jobs or post a job today, click here.
- Coaches Corner offered by the Alumni Association
- Stay engaged, Alumni Association Events calendar