Alumni Opportunities for Partnership: Sign up to Volunteer
Click the Volunteer button to express interest in any of the opportunities below or email the Feller Center's Career Planning team at email@example.com.
Share Your Experiences
Do you have 30-minutes to talk about your job or industry? Students want to hear from you! We are scheduling short virtual sessions with alumni to share their career paths, industry/job insights, and/or tips for applying to your industry with students. The areas below are of particular interest to our majors. Express interest here and we will reach out to you when we have an opportunity.
- Federal Government
- Legal Services/Lawyer
- International Relations
- Public Policy
- Financial Analysis
- Data Analysis
- Political: Campaigns, Lobbying
- Counseling/Mental Health
- Helping professions (healthcare, social services, social justice)
Students love to hear from alumni who have used their in-class learning in their jobs. We will pose a couple of questions and request a photo so this option is a very low time commitment that could have a huge impact on students! We work with instructors to integrate featured alumni as an example of career path options within courses (in-person or as a written document).
Do you have experience with LinkedIn, developing a resume, interviewing, etc. that you would be interested in sharing with students? We often plan group or individual events where alumni/employers share their tips on how to best prepare to apply for openings.
Share information and network with students as they learn about various industries. We choose different industry areas to feature each semester.
In partnership with the UMD Alumni Association, we invite you to join the UMD Terrapins Connect, an online advising program, which offers a secure space for alumni-to-student advising and mentoring. No overwhelming time commitments. Create an account today.
Alumni may join to mentor students or to expand their network by connecting with other alumni!
Networking Night with students and alumni, pre-COVID. Read more about our virtual options, such as the Career Chat series.
Students Visit You
Host UMD students
Intern for a Day, through the University of Maryland University Career Center & The President's Promise, connects current undergraduate UMD students with alumni, parents, and employers for short-term job shadowing opportunities to explore potential career fields.
Deadline to Register for spring 2022 will open late Jan. to early Feb.
**To offer an in-person job shadowing experience, the host must be reporting to a physical office/workplace and not teleworking the day the student job shadows. At this time, we are only requesting hosts in Maryland, DC, & Virginia for in-person job shadowing. Other questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Host a group of 25+ students at your organization for a tour, career panel, or other events to educate students on career paths. Generally last 1.5 to 3 hours. Recent visits include,
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, International Affairs
- National Geographic
- Little Leaves
- U.S. Secret Services Training Facility
- Library of Congress
- National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
A huge thank you to UMD Alum Pamitha D. Weerasinghe, J.D., who hosted a group of UMD students on the Hill.
Stay Connected/Recruit a Terp
Join our LinkedIn: Connect specifically with BSOS students and alumni (as well as advertise job and internship postings) through the UMD College of Behavioral and Social Sciences LinkedIn group. Join 30,000+ Terps in our University of Maryland College Park Alumni (Official) LinkedIn group to connect with fellow Terp alumni and future alumni.
There are many ways to share and recruit from the College of Behavioral & Social Sciences.
- The University Career Center staff is available to assist in establishing new internship programs (see Internship Guide for Employers) or enhancing existing ones by helping with structuring your opportunities, identifying best practices, and/or preparing internship supervisors.
- Send questions to email@example.com.
- General employer questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Career exploration resources for alumni
- Attend events on campus.
- Explore career options.
- Terrapins Connect Job Board: The Terrapins Connect alumni-only job board allows you to effortlessly access job opportunities or hire your fellow Terps. Check out a few listings below: To check out all jobs or post a job today, click here.