Virtual Resume Review
Gain tips for crafting a skills based resume. Submit your resume electronically to be reviewed by the Feller Center Career Planning staff. You will receive tips and wording suggestions.
* Only for College of Behavioral and Social Sciences Undergraduate Majors. Open December 1, 2020 - January 29, 2021.
Employers review resumes very quickly, on average 6 seconds, so make sure the skills/qualities they are seeking are easy to locate! That means no two resumes will look alike. That being said, if you hate fighting with bullet alignment, use this Example Resume Template to start your draft.
- Self-guided how-to modules
- Resume Basics, Beginners start here
- Resume Checklist, Review each section to ensure your resume is ready
Create a Skill Based Resume
- Economics- Displays coursework, honors and related experiences.
- Amy HESP- An example of on-campus involvement and part-time jobs.
- Criminology- Highlights related work experience and skills in law enforcement.
- Geography- Displays a study abroad and technical skills related to GIS.
- Anthropology- Uses a different format and highlights a research experience.
- Sociology- Example includes a research project, related experience, community service and professional skills.
- Psychology- Highlights lab experience, counseling experience and activities.
- Government & Politics- Uses customized headers to highlight industry specific examples.
- More examples, offered by the University Career Center & The President's Promise
- Journalism resumes, tips from the Philip Merrill College of Journalism
Federal Resume- Review the tips below if you will be applying to federal positions through USAJobs.
Applying to a posted position online? Use the tips below to ensure your resume passes the initial screening.
- The Best Fonts to Make Your Resume ATS and Recruiter-Friendly.
- Pros and Cons of PDF Resumes in Job-Search
- Tips for Beating the Resume Bots: "75 percent of job applications are rejected before a recruiter or hiring manager even sees them."
- Use Jobscan to optimize your resume and boost your interview chances.
- How to Create an ATS Resume that Beats The Bots, by Career Cloud
Types of Digital Resumes
There are many ways for BSOS students to share their unique experiences. If you are creative or will be applying to a creative industry (i.e. visual design) consider supplementing your resume with the tips linked below.