Employers review resumes very quickly, on average 6 seconds, so make sure the skills/qualities they are seeking are easy to locate! That means no two resumes will look alike. That being said, if you hate fighting with bullet alignment, use this Example Resume Template to start your draft.
- Anthropology - Uses a different format and highlights a research experience.
- Criminology - Highlights related work experience and skills in law enforcement.
- Economics - Displays coursework, honors and related experiences.
- Geography - Displays a study abroad and technical skills related to GIS.
- Government & Politics - Uses customized headers to highlight industry specific examples.
- HESP - An example of on-campus involvement and part-time jobs.
- International Relations - Displays international experiences and UMD coursework projects.
- Neuroscience, Behavioral and Cognitive - Displays lab and health related experiences.
- Psychology - Highlights lab experience, counseling experience and activities.
- Social Data Science - Example includes technical skills and projects completed in-class.
- Sociology - Example includes a research project, related experience, community service and professional skills.
- More examples, offered by the University Career Center: Veteran/Adult Learner, Graduate Student CV, Arts/Design, Sciences/Technical/Health
- Journalism resumes, tips from the Philip Merrill College of Journalism
Federal Resume- Review the tips below if you will be applying to federal positions through USAJobs.
- Self-guided how-to modules
- Resume Basics, Beginners start here
- Resume Checklist, Review each section to ensure your resume is ready
- 15 Steps to Align Your Resume to the Job Description, by LiveCareer
- Avoid these common spelling errors
Create a Skill Based Resume
- Sample bullets by experience (e.g. server, RA, coach)
- Articulating experiences on resumes
- Power words that stand out on resumes
- Identify your skills: Self-inventories
- Best resume fonts
- How To List Certifications On A Resume
Only 2% of candidates who applied for a job are invited to an interview. Were the remaining 98% unqualified for the job? That simply can't be true. These candidates probably failed to demonstrate that they've got the skills required by the employer.
On average, recruiters spend 6 seconds reviewing a resume. They are scanning for relevant skills. If you determine which skills employers want, match your resume to showcase those skills, you'll greatly increase your chances of landing an interview.
Applying to a posted position online? Use the tips below to ensure your resume passes the initial screening.
- The Best Fonts to Make Your Resume ATS and Recruiter-Friendly.
- Pros and Cons of PDF Resumes in Job-Search
- Tips for Beating the Resume Bots: "75 percent of job applications are rejected before a recruiter or hiring manager even sees them."
- Use Jobscan to optimize your resume and boost your interview chances.
- How to Create an ATS Resume that Beats The Bots, by Career Cloud
Types of Digital Resumes
There are many ways for BSOS students to share their unique experiences. If you are creative or will be applying to a creative industry (i.e. visual design) consider supplementing your resume with the tips linked below.