Make the most of the largest professional social networking platform, LinkedIn, by engaging with the resources and tips linked below.
With over 500 million people on LinkedIn, including 40 million recent graduates and current students, use the tips below to stand out and and highlight your unique skills.
Use LinkedIn to: Locate & connect with organizations, Stay in touch with contacts, Join groups to expand your network, Explore career paths of UMD alumni, Advertise your professional brand.
Use LinkedIn to:
- Starting a profile tips and LinkedIn Profile Checklist for BSOS Majors
- LinkedIn Learning video- Rock your LinkedIn profile (1 hr.)
- Use a professional photo and enhance it with these tips
- Create a LinkedIn Video to show your experience and perspective
- Tips for Building the Perfect LinkedIn Profile
- Customize your profile's URL
- Add background to your LinkedIn photo | 10 LinkedIn background photo examples, Forbes
- How to Create a Professional LinkedIn Banner Using Canva
- Use LinkedIn's Alumni tool to locate UMD alumni and review their career paths; view a video tutorial
- Tips for who to connect with
- 9 expert-backed ways to use LinkedIn to find a job, Business Insider
- Connections lead to opportunities
- 4 Steps to Joining the Professional Conversation on LinkedIn
- This Is What Recruiters Look For On Your Social Media Accounts, Fast Company
- Join Groups: UMD's College of Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Follow organizations of interest
- Communication features, how to's
UMD students, faculty, and staff have free access to Linkedin Learning, an online learning service that can help professionals learn software, design, and business skills to achieve their personal and professional goals.
Curated LinkedIn Learning videos for BSOS students:
- Create Your Brand
- Tips for applying for Internship/Job Openings?
- Create an Internship/Job Search Plan
Add a new skill (sample topics below):
- Big Data
- Business Skills
- Data Analytics
- Data Science Tools
- Excel 2019
- Photoshop & Lightroom
- Social Media Marketing
- R for Data Science
- Web Design
- PLUS MANY MORE