- Bright Futures: a University of Maryland scholarship fund for students who have secured an unpaid internship with a non-profit organization or government agency. Scholarships range from $250-1,250 to help offset expenses incurred during unpaid internships.
- BSOS Undergraduate Experience Funds assist undergraduate BSOS majors engaged in experiential learning outside the classroom, such as unpaid internships, research, service learning, and professional or academic conferences.
- Federal Fellows and Global Fellows in Washington, D.C. offer students funding of $500 to help support the cost of travel to unpaid internships.
- Division of Student Affairs Scholarships
- University Career Center- list of options
- Gilman International Scholarship for international internships via UMD National Scholarships Office
- UMD Education Abroad Scholarships for international internships
- Summer Research Scholarships via UMD National Scholarships Office
Additional Internship Scholarships and Stipends
- Jeffrey A. McLean Foundation: awards scholarships for economically challenged students securing internships with small businesses, non-profit organizations, academic organizations and government agencies. Applications are accepted throughout the year. There is a two tiered screening process.
- Maryland General Assembly: internships come with a stipend that increases with the number of days per week one interns.
*Note that all of these programs have early application deadlines!
There are additional programs that help place students from underrepresented groups in internships and assist with funding. Many provide professional development and mentorship assistance as well.