Undergraduate research is valuable whether or not you plan to be a researcher in the future. If you envision going on to graduate school or if you plan to go into a career where analytical problem solving is valued, then the experience of being part of a research team will be extremely beneficial. Plus as a UMD student, you have access to over 200 research centers on or just off campus at the University of Maryland. BSOS is home to 10 diverse, interdisciplinary departments and many centers and programs, all committed to investigating and improving the human condition. Learn more about all things related to research in BSOS.
START HERE: Review tips for locating and applying for research openings on and off campus.
- BSOS Summer Research Initiative
- BSOS Summer Scholars- Deadline: February 22, 2021
- Maryland Summer Scholars (for Undergraduate Research)- Deadline: Feb. 14, 2021
- BSOS Undergraduate Research Fund (up to $500)
Examples of Popular On-Campus Research Opportunities for BSOS Students
- Maryland Center for Undergraduate Research- Online board post research opportunities for undergraduate students
- Maryland Undergraduate Research Day
- PULSAR Program in Language Science
- START (National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism & Responses to Terrorism)
- Psychology Research Assistantships
- FIRE - First Year Innovation and Research Experience
- Faculty research mentors may have additional discipline-specific suggestions for funding.
- Many BSOS Departments offer departmental honors programs in which students can conduct original research with a faculty mentor.
The Maryland Center for Undergraduate Research has a listing in ELMS of hundreds of PAID Summer 2021 research opportunities in life and physical sciences, engineering, mathematics and computer science, and behavioral/social sciences. Click here to request access to ELMS resource site.**
View more tips from the University Career Center & The President's Promise's website.