Use the search strategies below to jump start your next job or internship search. Use two or more concurrently to shorten the length of your search!
Talking with professionals who have the type of job you are interested in landing, is the number one best search strategy! Spend most of your searching time on this strategy to speed up your job searching timeline. Review the 4 steps of networking below to get started.
- Make a list of EVERYONE you know, regardless of their profession (i.e. you don’t know who they know!). Use this network tracking template to record contacts, track your progress, and organize your referrals.
- Reach out to schedule informational interviews. Request 15-20 minutes to learn more about their career path/organization or ask for referrals.
- Prepare for the conversation: Craft a concise self introduction, dress to impress and be resume ready.
- Follow-up on all leads. Statistically speaking, this is when networkers have success!
Expand your network
- LinkedIn - join groups or review UMD’s alumni page to connect with alumni and employers of interest
- Terrapins Connect - connects students with UMD alumni
- Employer networking events - attend to meet professionals and gain knowledge of openings
- Intern - make the most of your internship by requesting informational interviews
- Intern for a Day - one day shadowing experience that allows students to forge connections
- Road Trips to the Real World- Visit an organization for a day over winter break
- Career Shuttles - a half day, group experience to visit an organization of interest
- At-Home Networking Strategies (Inside Higher Ed)
- 15 Creative Alternatives To In-Person Networking
- 5 Ways to Find a Job Through Instagram
Access openings not advertised anywhere by gaining leads from friends, family, and contacts. This is the number one most effective search strategy to identify openings! Read more: How to Create Opportunities Rather Than Compete for Them, by Vault. Get started by contacting organizations that hire within your field and inquire about job opportunities. This strategy can be implemented in person (depending on the type of organization you are targeting), email, phone, or through social media and works best when the resume and cover letter are customized for the organization.
Track your progress with this spreadsheet.
Target organizations who value diversity & inclusion
- Top organizations ranked for diversity, by DiversityInc.
- Career resources for military veterans
- Resources for LGBT students
- Multi-ethnic students
- Resources and tips for ex-offenders job searching
- Job Search Tips for International Students, Vault article
- Visa and Job Prospects for International Students in 2020, Vault article
- 4 Options for International Students Who Don’t Win the H-1B Visa Lottery, Vault article
- Resources for students with accommodations and disabilities
For a full list of resources, visit the University Career Center's diversity & inclusion webpage
Hiring managers who are having a difficult time filling positions (i.e. competition for candidates is tight or they are searching for a hard to find skill set) tend to advertise openings on job boards. The job seeker can search for advertised openings and apply for positions online.
- Aggregate search engines yield many options: Indeed.com, Linkup, Google Jobs, or Simplyhired.
- Locate niche job boards in your area of interest: Top 100 Niche Job Boards
- Once you decide on a couple of job boards to follow, establish search alerts and sign up for email alerts based on your keyword search to be alerted of new openings.
- Openings advertised for UMD students.
- Search online smarter: Tips for using Google in your job search, Business 2 Community
Over 95% of organizations use an Applicant Tracking System to manage applications. Use the tips below to increase your odds of getting past the digital gatekeepers.
- The Best Fonts to Make Your Resume ATS and Recruiter-Friendly
- Pros and Cons of PDF Resumes in Job-Search
- Tips for Beating the Resume Bots: "75 percent of job applications are rejected before a recruiter or hiring manager even sees them."
- Use Jobscan to optimize your resume and boost your interview chances.
- How to Create an ATS Resume that Beats The Bots, by Career Cloud
- See resume samples for BSOS majors.
Agencies work for employers to locate job seekers with specific skills to fill short term positions.
A growing number of organizations are outsourcing their hiring to temporary agencies. A temporary agency will locate and vet candidates that possess the skills required for a position. Organizations may use the short term jobs to "test" an employee and then offer the employees that they see as a good fit a full-time position. Other organizations use temp agencies to find professionals to fill in for a short period of time (i.e. the busy season). Learn more about how temp agencies operate.
- PREPARE: Identify your skill set and industry references. Also consider your geographical work preferences and contact an agency in that area.
- EXPECTATIONS: The initial interview may include tests to assess your skills. Prepare for this interview as you would a traditional interview.
Locate and research employers interested in BSOS majors through Careers4Terps.
Cornerstone Montgomery Inc.
Cornerstone Montgomery, Inc. empowers people living with mental health and co-occurring substance use disorders to live, work, and integrate successfully within the community. We are the largest and most comprehensive mental health organization in Montgomery County. We are an independent, nonsectarian, nonprofit 501 (c)(3) organization with the capacity to serve over 2,400 adults and transition age youth who are living with severe mental illness and co-occurring mental illness and substance use issues. We manage 86 properties throughout Montgomery County.
2, Taft Court, Suite 200 Rockville, Maryland 20850 United States
Fannie Mae provides reliable, large-scale access to affordable mortgage credit in communities across our nation. We are the leading source of funding for housing in America, which means more people can buy or rent a home. We are focused on sustaining the housing recovery, improving our company, and leading change to make housing better. Join our diverse, high-performing team and make a difference as we work together to enable access to a good home. For more information about Fannie Mae, visit http://www.fanniemae.com/progress.
3900 Wisconsin Avenue NW Washington, District of Columbia 20009 United States
National Security Agency (NSA)
The National Security Agency is a federal government agency that provides foreign signals intelligence to decision makers and protects US national security information systems.
9800 Savage Rd. Fort Meade, Maryland 20755-6779 United States
Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Informing debates. Shaping policy. Producing results. Twitter & Instagram: @CenterOnBudget We are a nonpartisan research and policy institute. We pursue federal and state policies designed both to reduce poverty and inequality and to restore fiscal responsibility in equitable and effective ways. We apply our deep expertise in budget and tax issues and in programs and policies that help low-income people, in order to help inform debates and achieve better policy outcomes.
820 First Street Northeast 510 Washington, District of Columbia 20002 United States
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine
HJF is a global organization dedicated to advancing military medicine. We serve military, medical, academic and government clients by administering, managing and supporting preeminent scientific programs that benefit members of the armed forces and civilians alike.
6720-A Rockledge Drive Suite 100 Bethesda, Maryland 20817 United States
University of Maryland - National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START)
The National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism-better known as START-is a university-based research and education center comprised of an international network of scholars committed to the scientific study of the causes and human consequences of terrorism in the United States and around the world. A Department of Homeland Security Center of Excellence headquartered at the University of Maryland, START supports the research efforts of leading social scientists at more than 50 academic and research institutions, each of whom is conducting original investigations into fundamental questions about terrorism.
8400 Baltimore Ave, Suite 250 College Park, Maryland 20742 United States
Communications/Media/PR, Education/Teaching, Government, International Affairs, Journalism, Law Enforcement/Security, Law/Legal Services, Sciences
WESTAT, located in Rockville, MD is one of the foremost contract research corporations in the United States. Since 1961, we have conducted surveys and provided statistical research and related services to the agencies of the U.S. Government and to a broad range of institutional and business clients. We are an employee-owned corporation with more than 2,000 research, technical, and administrative staff and a recognized history of technical and managerial excellence.
1600 Research Boulevard Rockville, Maryland 20850 United States
At Amazon, our evolution has been driven by the spirit of innovation that is part of our DNA. As a new college graduate or intern, you can have multiple opportunities to innovate and solve real-world, complex technical and business problems as you join us on our journey. We strive to hire the brightest minds from universities around the globe, and have various career opportunities available for undergraduates and advanced degree students with diverse academic backgrounds. The work environment here is fast-paced and continually evolving, and every Amazonian is passionate about ownership and delivering results for the company. If you want to work in an environment that will challenge you to relentlessly improve the Amazon experience for our customers, where each day is different from the next, and your learning never truly ends, take a look at Amazon’s many University opportunities.
440 Terry Avenue North Seattle, Washington 98109 United States
IT (Information Technology)
US Federal Deposit Insurance Corp (FDIC)
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) is an independent agency created by the Congress to maintain stability and public confidence in the nation's financial system by: Insuring deposits, Examining and supervising financial institutions for safety and soundness and consumer protection, Making large and complex financial institutions resolvable, and Managing receiverships.
FDIC 550 17th Street, N.W. Washington, District of Columbia 20429 United States
Computer Engineering, Cybersecurity, Data Analytics/Data Science, Engineering, Government, IT (Information Technology), Technical Writing, Web Development
For over thirty years, MalcolmDubato, formerly Malcolm & Associates, has served as an industry leader in the areas of vocational rehabilitation, medical case management, vocational expert testimony, life care planning, and more. Our highly-trained professional staff takes great pride in its comprehensive and strategic approach to even the most challenging matters.
11025 Stratfield Court Marriottsville, Maryland 21104 United States