Enhance Your Professional Brand: Career Strategies
Before you can market your amazing skills to employers, you have to be able to articulate them clearly and weave them into a persuasive and memorable narrative. Use the tips below to consider how you will share your marketable skills in your cover letter, on your LinkedIn profile, during an interview, or while networking.
Identify Your Skills/Interest
Use the self-assessment tools below to identify your natural strengths and capacities. Once identified, you can start building your professional brand.
- Career Values Self-Inventory, examine your career values and then add meaning to your responses by completing this Career Values Debrief exercise
- Skills inventory, determine your current strengths and make a plan to gain more skills within your major courses
- O*NET® career exploration includes an ability and interest profiler
- FOCUS2 online, identify your natural strengths by taking a personality preference self-assessment
- Who You Are vs Who You Want to Portray- do they match?
- Career Readiness Competencies- do you possess all of the most in-demand competencies?
- Your Personal Brand Workbook, pwc
Use these tools to craft a compelling story to support your internship/job search or application to graduate school.
Advertise Your Professional Brand
Virtual & In-person
- Create your “go-to” introduction to be used during interviews or while networking
- How to Look Better on Zoom and Other Video Conferencing Tips, by Vault
- What to Wear to Appear More ‘Trustworthy’ and ‘Authentic’ in Zoom Meetings, by Vault
- How to Choose Colors for Your Brand Identity (and Why It Matters)
- How to Pitch Your Value in Interviews
Tools to Create a Professional Brand
- EPortfolio: Offers UMD students the opportunity to highlight skills, experiences, and learning through a set of curated works in an online platform, Portfolium
- Tools to create a website branding page, Vault article
- Creating a linkedIn profile resources
- 10 tips for updating your online portfolio, Vault article
- Building a strong professional presence online, Vault article