Research the average salary range before applying for a paid position! Some organizations request a salary range to be submitted with the application and they will hold the applicant to what they list, so make sure you shoot for the stars at the beginning. Review the resources below to gain insights on how you will approach your next negotiation.
- Negotiating a job offer, consider what is negotiable along with how in demand your skills are for that industry.
- Evaluating offers, tips from the University Career Center
- How to Turn Down an Offer When You’ve Accepted Another, by Vault
- Internships: Is academic credit or a salary an option?
- Salary negotiation scripts for any role, by Vault
Determine the average salary for your field of interest
- Research the average salary for your next full time job. Use the salary tools (below) to locate regional data for job titles searched:
- Interview professionals working in the field and ask what they think the going rate is for an entry level position in the field.
- Review tips for evaluating offers, but the University Career Center
Determine what you can afford
- Already got the job? How to Ask for a Raise Without Coming off as Entitled